Fort Inglish Museum

  • 800 West Sam Rayburn Drive
    Bonham, TX 75418
  • TEL: (903) 583-3943
  • Visit Website
Details

Bailey Inglish, founder of Bonham, brought the first settlers to claim homesteads on the rich black land of the Red River Valley in the central part of what was to become Fannin county, in March 1837.  As the danger of indian raids began to increase, Inglish encouraged the settlers to erect a fort and stockade to provide safety and comfort for the families.

This replica was built in 1976, as a Fannin County Bicentennial project. Three 1830’s log cabins from the Fannin County area were relocated surrounding the stockade. They have been furnished to represent a frontier cabin, a trading post, and a blacksmith shop. A school/church a gift shop are recent additions. A doctor’s buggy and military wagon have been restored and are on display in the stockade area.