Irving’s summer calendar is cooking! Make sure to load up your calendar with all the best things to do in Irving in August before the fall calendar begins and the kids head back to school.
August 1 - 3
Thursday, August 1
- Theater fans should snag tickets to "Boeing Boeing" at the Irving Arts Center. This farcical play is sure to entertain. Set in the 1960s, the play focuses on swinging bachelor Bernard, who couldn’t be happier: a flat in Paris and three gorgeous stewardesses all engaged to him without knowing about each other. But things get bumpy when his friend Robert comes to stay and catastrophe looms. “Boeing Boeing” plays in Irving through Saturday. The show tonight starts at 7:30 p.m.
Friday, August 2
- Kick off the weekend right at the Mandalay Canal Street Market. This weekly event features food, music, and art against the backdrop of the stunning Mandalay Canal. Sample food truck fare, catch up with friends, and stroll the canal at this casual weekend market. The market takes place from 4 to 9 p.m. on Fridays, 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturdays, and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Sundays.
Saturday, August 3
- Nothing is more indicative of the Texas summer than smoky Texas barbecue and ice-cold beer. That’s why you won’t want to miss BBQ + Beer Pairings at Nosh & Bottle Market. This special weekend event features delicious barbecue from nearby Bolivar St. BBQ. Grab a plate of brisket, a side of jalapeno mac and cheese or savory cowboy beans, and one of many draft beers for just $12.
- The Irving Scavenger Hunt continues! Take time today to seek out important landmarks, buildings, and other historic markers with the help of a special Irving Scavenger Hunt app. Educational and fun, the scavenger hunt lets you explore different parts of Irving, from the Heritage District to Las Colinas.
August 4 - 10
Tuesday, August 6
- Looking to cool off and get a little exercise at the same time? Why not try Indoor Water Aerobics at the North Lake Natatorium? Taking place every Tuesday and Thursday from 7 to 8 p.m., this water aerobics class is a great way to avoid the heat and stay in shape this summer.
Friday, August 9 - Sunday, August 11
- Now in its fifth year, Let’s Play Gaming Expo has quickly become one of the most popular gaming expos in Texas. Encompassing video games, board games, card games, tabletop games, and arcade games, the expo will feature three days of cosplay, vendors, tournaments, panels, and gaming. Don’t miss your chance to mingle with fellow gaming fanatics at the Irving Convention Center at Las Colinas.
Saturday, August 10
- Book lovers won’t want to miss the monthly book sale at the Valley Ranch Book Sales at Irving Public Library - Valley Ranch. Come explore steeply discounted books of all kinds, from paperback classics to special deals on new releases. The book sale takes place on the second Saturday of each month from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m.
August 11 - 17
Wednesday, August 14
- Meet your friends or bring the crew from work for a true bonding experience: Karaoke Night at Gipsy Lime Taco Lounge. Munch tacos, sip margaritas, and sing your heart out to a wide range of pop hits. The mic gets hot starting at 6 p.m.
Thursday, August 15
- Alamo Drafthouse and the Toyota Music Factory join forces to bring you Star Wars Under the Stars, a special and free outdoor screening of the original Star Wars trilogy. Tonight’s showing is “Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope.” And go ahead and make plans to complete the trilogy: Thursday, August 22 will be “Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back;” and Thursday, August 29 will feature “Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi.” All this takes place at the Texas Lottery Plaza at the Toyota Music Factory. Gates open at 7 p.m., the movie starts at 9 p.m. You should plan to bring your own chairs and blankets, but you can leave the drinks to the Music Factory: bar and refreshments will be available.
Friday, August 16
- Take it back to the Golden Age this Friday at Flashback Friday at Cool River Cafe. Sip $5 Cosmopolitans, Lemon Drops, and Appletinis, starting at 4 p.m.
August 18 - 24
Thursday, August 22
- It’s hard to get a meal anywhere for under $10. But on Thursdays at El Famoso, you can order a Ranchera Cheese Enchilada Plate for just $6. Yes. You read that right. So, if you’re hungry, head to Enchilada Thursdays at El Famoso. This amazing deal goes from 5 p.m. to close.
Friday, August 23
- Irving’s favorite outdoor comedy night, Laughs by the Lake, is taking place on the shore of Lake Carolyn for another hilarious year. The event provides a food court and beer vendor, which means all you need to bring is a blanket or chair to sit on and a sense of humor. The show begins at 7 p.m.
Saturday, August 24
- Get your poker face ready for Saturday nights in Irving. You can choose from two excellent poker nights: Texas Hold ‘Em at both Boston’s Pizza and Champp’s Kitchen and Bar. Can’t choose? Play both! Champp’s poker starts around 7 p.m., and Boston’s poker doesn’t get going until 10 p.m.
August 25 - 31
Thursday, August 29
- Don’t want to cook every night this week? Well, thanks to Jason’s Deli, you might not have to. Take the family over to Jason’s Deli where kids eat free after 5 p.m. on Thursdays. That’s one free kid’s meal per each adult entrée for kids 12 and under.
Saturday, August 31
- Saturdays are for farmers markets. That’s always true in Irving, where the Las Colinas Farmers Market provides a haven for delicious food, artisanal goods, and unrivaled people watching. The market can be found near Lamberti’s Ristorante and Wine Bar on MacArthur Boulevard and goes from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. every Saturday.
- Spend an evening at the theater laughing at the comedy-drama combo that is “Office Drama.” Presented by Eyeronic Stage Productions, a local production group, the play follows a group of coworkers and the antics that ensue when you spend 40 hours a week together. The show starts at 6 p.m. at the Irving Arts Center.