She packed your lunch, she drove you to practice, and her voice lulled you to sleep by reading a bedtime story. When you think about all the things your mom did while raising you, you realize that all those services are totally unaffordable now. This is why Mother's Day was invented, to say thank you and help pay back a small portion of what she's done. Whether your mom loves great food, live music or just loves to hear you laugh, we have a list of events here in Irving that are sure to please her.
MOTHER'S DAY BRUNCH
Mothers love to feel special. Taking her to brunch with the whole family is sure to make her feel like a queen. These are some of the special Mother's Day brunches around town. Hint - be sure to call early and make reservations in your name. She'll be so impressed! (Besides that, a reservation is required at these restaurants listed below). All brunches are served on Sunday, May 12.
- Cool River Cafe invites you to join them for Mother's Day brunch featuring a 3-course menu and 1/2 price bottles of wine! There's also a kid's menu available. 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Fish City Grill specializes in everything seafood. Let them do the cooking while your Mom enjoys a Bacardi Superior with Strawberries, Basil, or Lime and Orange Juice. Start off with Seared Scallops Bruschetta, Polenta Cakes, and Arugula & Watermelon Salad. For the main course, there's Lemon Ginger Salmon, Chines Broccolini, Sesame Crepe Pancakes, and Lemon-Ginger Beurre Blanc with a Crab Tower including Avocado, Cucumber, Mango, and Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette. Then finish out the meal with some Strawberry Shortcake. 11:00 am - 10:00 pm
- Nosh & Bottle invites you to their Mimosas with Mom where the brunch menu features Crunchy French Toast with Berries, Bacon or Sausage or Buttermilk or Blueberry Pancakes with Bacon or Sausage + 2 eggs cooked to your specifications. There's also their Brunch Burger with Candied Bacon, Arugula, Fried Egg and Garlic Aioli, plus $3 Mimosas all day. 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
- The Ranch at Las Colinas is serving up a Texas-sized brunch from local sources. There's too much on the buffet menu to list here so you'll just have to take my word for it. Mom will love you the most if you bring her to The Ranch. Prices range from $10.95 for children ages 5-8, $18.95 for children ages 9-13, and for the grownups, it's $46.95 per person. 9:30 am - 3:00 pm
- Trevi's at the Omni Hotel provides a special celebration with complimentary Champagne and a Bloody Mary bar. There's also breakfast stations (omelet, eggs benedict, and cheese blintzes), Chef's Garden, Seafood Bar, Carving Station and Sweets. Assorted entrees are available as well. 10:30 am - 1:30 pm
Does your Mom like to boogie down? Does she do her groove thing at concerts? Does she two-step because it's five o'clock somewhere? Then make plans to bring Mom to one of these Irving eateries and events that feature live music. There's nothing like some smooth music to help celebrate Mom's awesomeness.
Friday, May 10
Party Machine will perform on Friday at Whistlestop Plaza
- Irving Arts Center and MainStage Irving bring you the Tony Award-nominated, hilarious, roller skating, musical adventure - XANADU. It's all about following your dreams despite the limitations others set for you, plus it rolls along to the original hit score composed by pop-rock legends, Jeff Lynne and John Farrar. Cost is $24 - $31. Begins Friday & Saturday at 7:30 pm and Sunday at 2:30 pm and runs every weekend through May 25.
- Irving Concert Series 4 Kids features Rockin' with Leonardo, a Parents' Choice Award-winning musician with a high-energy concert that entertains, educates and empowers all little rockers. Location is at the Cimarron Park Recreation Center. Parking and admission are free. 9:00 am
- Irving Concert Series presents Party Machine covering everything from the 50's through today's hits. The concert is scheduled to be held at the Heritage Senior Center. Parking and admission are free, seating is provided at the center. You can purchase dinner at a nearby restaurant or bring a picnic from home. 7:00 pm - 8:45 pm
- Nosh & Bottle are bringing back Dan Rocha with his smokey vocals, visceral grooves & virtuoso guitar playing. No cover charge. 7:30 pm - 10:00 pm
- The Ranch at Las Colinas features a solo acoustic concert from 8:00 pm - 11:00 pm. No cover charge. You know, Mom may not mind going out for dinner more than once this weekend. Just thought I'd throw that in there.
- There's a Party on the Plaza! featuring DJ Mr. Black at the Texas Lottery Plaza. Listen to one of the most popular DJs in DFW before or after dinner at one of the many Toyota Music Factory restaurants. No cover charge.
- If you like traditional Nepali-Tibetan food, then Peak Restaurant & Bar is where you want to be to hear The Stations Band. No cover charge. 8:30 pm - 2:00 am
- Two Mules Cantina at the new Texican Court Hotel hosts Clayton Gardner starting at 9:00 pm. No cover charge.
- The Green Gator at Toyota Music Factory is introducing Gary Boren. With their Cajun food and zydeco sounds, you'll think you're back in New Orleans. 9:00 pm - midnight.
- Bar Louie invites you to Live at Louie's where they have the best live local entertainers every Friday night, beginning at 10:00 pm. No cover charge.
Saturday, May 11
Pianist Daniel Pino joins the Las Colinas Symphony Orchestra
- Green Gator is planning their First Annual Crawfish & Music Festival from 1:00 - 5:00 pm. Performances include MONA, Ron Bultongez, The Wild Frontiers, Sophia Annello and Kelvin Thomas. And then from 9:00 pm - 12:00 am enjoy the sounds of Eric Fayard.
- Head on over to The Pavilion and catch Kali Uchis & Jorja Smith with their R&B and pop sounds. Tickets are $39.50 - $79.50+ | 7:00 pm
- The Las Colinas Symphony Orchestra presents Daniel Pino on piano at their season finalé at the Irving Arts Center. He'll be performing Grieg Piano Concerto in A Minor, conducted by LCSO's own Maestro Robert Carter Austin. $16.50 - $46.50 | 7:30 pm
- Nosh & Bottle continue their weekend live music series with Corina Grove, an incredible singer with a huge presence. No cover charge. 7:30 - 10:30 pm
- The Ranch at Las Colinas features its leading headliner Faron Lee Gilbert. Live music, great food, can't go wrong there. No cover charge. 8:00 - 11:00 pm
- For another Nepali-Tibetan flair, visit Peak Restaurant & Bar to hear Near Mirror. No cover charge. 8:30 pm - 2:00 am
- Keep the party going at Party on the Plaza! featuring Jenna Clark. No cover charge. 10:00 pm
The art of Sabrage at Boi Na Braza
Yes, it's on the Tuesday after Mother's Day, May 14, but it's very much worth the wait. Join the good people at Boi Na Braza for a special Saber Party, featuring GH Mumm and Campo Cava. If you've never seen this demonstrated, you're in for a real treat. The Boi Na Braza Champagne Ambassador slides a saber along the body of the champagne bottle to break the top of the neck away, leaving it open and ready to pour. It's used mainly for ceremonial or special occasions, but you can enter a drawing for a chance to saber your own bottle. $10 - $60. 6:00 - 8:30 pm
- (This event has been postponed to May 31 due to rain) A Family Cookout and Campfire at Mustang Park Rec Center on Friday, May 31 at 7:00 - 10:00 pm. $5
- A formal Mother's Day Celebration featuring a Murder Mystery and catering from Mama's Daughter's Diner at the Heritage Senior Center on Friday, May 10 at 5:00 - 7:30 pm. $10 - $12
- Mother's Day pampering at Cimarron Park Rec Center on Friday, May 10 at 10:00 am - 1:00 pm. Free admission and childcare provided for ages two and up.
- Gifts for Mom (like a new pet and supplies) at Pet Pawlooza at the Irving Animal Care Center, 4140 Valley View Lane 75038 on Saturday, May 11 at 10:00 am - 2:00 pm. Free admission.
- The Las Colinas Farmers Market in the parking lot at Lamberti's Ristorante and Wine Bar on Saturday, May 10 at 10:00 am - 2:00 pm. Make Mom a gift basket with some local honey, fresh artisan breads, homemade jams and jellies; wrap up some bodycare products; or gift her something that's one-of-a-kind from the crafters there.
- The Valley Ranch Book Sale at the Valley Ranch Library on Saturday, May 11 at 10:00 am - 5:00 pm. Let Mom run free through the aisles. It's like a wonderland there. Free admission.
- Some hands-on art projects with Mom at the Irving Arts Center at Second Sunday Family Funday on Sunday, May 12 at 1:00 - 4:00 pm. Family time is always quality time. Free admission.
While you're out celebrating your wonderful Mom, be sure to tag us in your posts and stories with #VisitIrving and/or #IrvingRocks. Also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to stay in the know. For additional area events not listed in this blog, visit our website at www.irvingtexas.com/events/. Love you Mom!