Few people know the story of Claudette Colvin. In 1955, when she was 15, she refused to move to the back of the bus and give up her seat to a white person — nine months before Rosa Parks did the very same thing. Most people know about Parks and the Montgomery bus boycott, but few know that there were a number of women who refused to give up their seats on the same bus system. Most of the women were quietly fined, and no one heard much more. Colvin was the first to really challenge the law. Join us in celebrating Black History Month and learn more about this brave young lady.
Take the Bus!
WHEN: Sunday, February 19, 2017 @ 4 p.m.
WHERE: Dupree Theater at the Irving Arts Center, 3333 N. MacArthur Blvd. 75062
Take the Bus! is an insightful play written by Ernastine Rose, directed by Sheran Keyton, and produced by DVA Productions. Based on the life of Claudette Colvin, the teenager who refused to give up her seat on a segregated Montgomery bus nearly nine months before the famous Rosa Parks ride, the play highlights Claudette's Supreme Court case, and others, that lead to the end of bus segregation in the U.S. Also, come for the unveiling of the 2017 USPS Heritage Stamp by Irving Postmaster Rodney Malone. Learn More
African American Read-In: One World, Many Tales
WHEN: Sunday, February 19, 2017 @ 2 - 4 p.m.
WHERE: Irving Public Library - South Branch, 601 Schulze Drive 75060
In honor of African American Heritage Month, this program showcases current African American children’s literature, as well as music and dance presented by Ayubu Kamau Kings and Queens. Author Varian Johnson will be featured with other readers to share recent literature written or illustrated by African Americans. These works reflect life’s experiences and promote a love of reading. Mr. Johnson’s books will be available for purchase after the program. All ages are welcome! Learn More
Irving Black Arts Council presents Art Inspired
WHEN: Art is on exhibit now through February 26, 2017
WHERE: Irving Arts Center, 3333 N. MacArthur Blvd. 75062
Four Dallas-Fort Worth area artists — Larry Alexander, Therlee Gipson, Walter Land, and Don O’Bannon — depict and celebrate African American individuals, history and culture in a variety of media including paintings, drawings, cut paper compositions, digital printmaking and mixed media. Learn More
Other exhibits at the Irving Arts Center include: Portraits of Freedom and A Place For All People
Other Irving events this weekend include . . .
Friday, February 17, 2017:
- Ticketstock @ The Irving Convention Center, 500 W. Las Colinas Blvd. 75039. 12 noon. Event is free, parking is $8. Learn More
- Gypsy Friday Open Mic @ Supreme Coffee, 4070 N. Belt Line Road 75038. 6:30 p.m. No Cover Charge. Learn More
- Chris Colston @ The Ranch, 857 W. John Carpenter Fwy 75039. 8:00 p.m. No Cover Charge. Learn More
- Those Guys from Texas @ the Texas Musicians Museum, 222 E. Irving Blvd. 75060. 8:00 p.m. Learn More
- Downtown Fever Band @ Cool River Cafe, 1045 Hidden Ridge Dr. 75038. 9:30 p.m. No Cover Charge.
Saturday, February 18, 2017:
- Science in 30 presents Spectacular Experiments @ the West Library, 4444 W. Rochelle Road 75062. 11 - 11:30 a.m. Free. Learn More
- Ticketstock @ the Irving Convention Center, 500 W. Las Colinas Blvd. 75039. 12:00 noon. Event is free, parking is $8.00. Learn More
- High Voltage Teen Book Club discusses Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight @ the South Library, 601 Schulze Drive 75060. 2 -3 p.m. Free. Learn More
- Family Movie Matinee: Penguins of Madagascar @ the Valley Ranch Library, 401 Cimarron Trail 75063. 2 - 4 p.m. Free. Learn More
- Cupcake Wars: Valentine's Day Edition @ the West Library, 4444 W. Rochelle Road 75062. 2 - 4 p.m. Free. Learn More
- Kids Only Book Club discusses Nuts to You @ the South Library, 601 Schulze Drive 75060. 2:30 - 3:30 p.m. Free. Learn More
- Build it with LEGO @ the West Library, 4444 W. Rochelle Rd. 75062. 2:30 - 3:30 p.m. Free. Learn More
- Chapter Books and Cozy Nooks discusses Greetings from Somewhere: The Mystery of the Secret Society @ the South Library, 601 Schulze Dr. 75060. 2:30 - 3:30 p.m. Free. Learn More
- Cinema 13: Victor Frankenstein @ the Valley Ranch Library, 401 Cimarron Trail 75063. 4 - 6 p.m. Free. Learn More
- Aquarius Rock N Blues Birthday Bash @ the Texas Musicians Museum, 222 E. Irving Blvd. 75060. 8:00 p.m. Learn More
- Faron Lee Gilbert @ The Ranch, 857 W. John Carpenter Fwy. 75039. 8:00 p.m. No Cover Charge.
- Las Colinas Symphony Orchestra presents Leslie Massenburg, bassoon @ the Irving Arts Center, 3333 N. MacArthur Blvd. 75062. 8:00 p.m. $16.50 - $46.50. Learn More
- Vegas Stars Band @ Cool River Cafe, 1045 Hidden Ridge Drive 75038. 9:30 p.m. No Cover Charge.
For additional events in the area, please visit our website at www.irvingtexas.com.