The merry month of May is upon us. Check out the array of ways to enjoy the warmer weather and a month of holidays―Cinco de Mayo, Mother’s Day, and Memorial Day. And, don’t miss out on our list of live music taking place this month, too.
May 1 - 4
Wednesday, May 1
- When you’re done dancing around the maypole for May Day, stop by Nosh & Bottle Market at the Toyota Music Factory from 5 to 10 p.m. for Wine Pairing Wednesdays. Treat yourself to a Nosh board which includes select cheeses and meats paired with glasses of wine.
Thursday, May 2
- Calling all Ironman triathletes and marathoners! Don’t miss this special Meet and Greet/Q&A with 14X Ironman/Kona Champion Jen Rulon at Freshii in the Toyota Music Factory from 4 to 6 p.m. She will present “Rulon Rules to Challenging Your Mindset” and also showcase the gear and techniques she uses as a successful competitive athlete. Plus, Freshii will serve up some of their energizing food and drinks as a bonus. RSVP ASAP to save your seat!
Saturday, May 4
- Bring the family, picnic basket, blankets, and your kites for the 16th Annual Kite Flying Festival presented by Vigha Dallas. It all takes place at North Lake College Central Campus behind the aquatic center and tennis courts starting at 2 p.m. Proceeds from the event will go to assist children in need. General admission is free and includes kite-making activities, a shopping bazaar, food stalls, raffles, bounce house, face painting, live music, and an evening talent and fashion show.
- Bring the family to the Lee Park Recreation Center for the Cinco de Mayo Multicultural Festival from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Enjoy delicious food for purchase, an international bazaar, face painting, performances by mariachis and folk dancers, a job fair, exhibitor space, and kids activities. General admission is free.
May 5 - 11
Sunday, May 5
- Cinco de Mayo festivities continue with Hugo’s Cinco Party in the Park at Water Street. A joint effort between Hugo’s Invitados and Gables Water Street, the celebration is free to attend with concessions available for purchase, along with dance performances from Anita N. Martinez Ballet Folklorico, music, crafts, and face painting. Be there from 12 to 5 p.m. for this family-friendly event.
Friday, May 10 - Sunday, May 12
- The USAW Women's Wrestling National Championships will be held at the Irving Convention Center at Las Colinas. Cheer on the wrestlers during this freestyle competition with five separate age divisions. These are some of the best wrestling athletes in the U.S. and perhaps some future Olympians! Tickets sold onsite.
Saturday, May 11
- Bring your furry friends to the 2019 Irving Pet Pawlooza. The free festivities get started at 10 a.m. at the Irving Dog Park at 4140 Valley View Lane, to celebrate the ninth anniversary of the Irving Animal Care Campus. In addition to exhibitors with cool new products for your pets and various pet games and activities, you can get free rabies vaccinations and microchipping for dogs (on leashes) and cats (in carriers). Human companions will enjoy the live music and good eats.
- Illinois-based ZN Fashions will be in Irving during Ramadan for the Irving Eid Bazaar. From 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Noah’s of Las Colinas, shoppers are invited to explore and purchase new fashions for Eid holidays from an array of vendors.
May 12 - 18
Sunday, May 12
- Celebrate Mother’s Day by taking your mom to Olivella’s Las Colinas for the Boozy Brunch Drink Specials with $3 mimosas and bloody marys from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Choose from Neapolitan or Roman style pizzas, pasta, and panini for your meal.
- Brunch at Thirsty Lion Gastropub & Grill also features drink specials, including $4 Coors Light and $5 Blue Moon. The brunch menu has trendy eats like avocado toast, as well as classic dishes like chicken and waffles, eggs Benedict, chilaquiles, and more.
Friday, May 17
- Don’t miss your chance to see comedian Jim Gaffigan live. Gaffigan’s Quality Time Tour will stop in Irving at The Pavilion at Toyota Music Factory. He has five children and is known for his observational comedy with a focus on fatherhood, as well as his acting, writing, and producing. Tickets for a seat on the Verizon Lawn are still available but going fast.
Saturday, May 18 - Sunday, May 19
- Hey, ladies! Spend your weekend attending the Dallas/Fort Worth Ultimate Women’s Expo at the Irving Convention Center at Las Colinas. The expo hall will be filled with oodles of new beauty and wellness products, fashion, food, entertainment, travel, and so much fun. Get inspired by special guest speakers and educational seminars, and relax with on-site massages and spa treatments.
May 19 - 25
Wednesday, May 22
- Looking for free and fun things to do midweek? The Irving Public Library presents Valley Ranch Wednesday Night Live: Movie Night. The library will have a showing of “The House with a Clock in Its Walls,” a dark fantasy comedy released last year starring Jack Black and Cate Blanchett. The show starts at 6 p.m. and the film is rated PG, so it’s perfect for families with younger children.
Saturday, May 25
- Shop local at the Las Colinas Farmers Market which takes place every Saturday outside of Lamberti’s Ristorante and Wine Bar. Choose from seasonal produce, local honey, freshly baked artisan bread, as well as eggs, chicken, grass-fed beef, and artisan goods. If you’re hungry while you shop, food tents serve up amazing tamales, tacos, papusas (a Salvadoran favorite), and cold drinks to beat the heat.